|Professor Tsuboi received his professional education at the University of Tokyo, achieving his bachelor’s degree in 1932 and his doctorate in 1941. He was appointed to the faculty at his alma mater in 1942 and became Professor Emeritus in 1968. He was recognized widely for his research in the field of applied mechanics, especially the theory of plates and shells. But his international reputation also derived from his design activities in conjunction with leading architects such as Kenzo Tange and Minoru Yamasaki. Early concrete shell structures done with Tange include Ehime Prefectural Hall (1954), Sumpu Kaikann Hall (1957) and St. Mary Cathedral in Tokyo (1964). Notable among other structural types are Yoyogi Indoor Stadiums for the Tokyo Olympics (1964), the Grand Roof space frame for Expo’70 in Osaka (1969) and Shigaraki Sacred Garden (1983).|
Tsuboi was elected an IASS Honorary Member in 1971, received the Torroja Medal in 1976, and served as President of the Association from 1986 until his death in 1990.
Photo credit: Yoshikatsu Tsuboi
Back to the Index of Actors