Encourage and organize presentations, reports and publications on projects, designs and research related to Metal Spatial Structures.
Working Group 8 was first organized as a WG of Spatial Steel Structures with Professor Yoshikatsu Tsuboi as the Chair (a previous president of IASS) in the middle of 1970s. During the second decade of the Association, this was expanded by Professor Mamoru Kawaguchi (also a previous president of IASS) to a Working Group of Metal Spatial Structures, reflecting remarkable developments on space frame and lattice shell structures following concrete shells. Its main accomplishment during that decade was the publication as a draft, Analysis, Design and Realization of Space Frames in 1979, then formerly published in the IASS Journal (IASS, Madrid, 1985, 114 pp.), a document that has still influenced on a number of subsequent national building codes. From the time when the working group was chaired by Professor Shiro Kato (a current advisory board of IASS, a honorary member), its activities have been casted intensively on buckling and dynamic responses of metal spatial structures with a focus to a design methodology including aluminum structures and various grid shells. In 2017, WG 8 has completed a publication "Guide to Buckling Load Evaluation of Metal Reticulated Roof Structures" which is now available on IASS web-site at Further Information for IASS Members. From 2018, a new chair Toru Takeuchi together with Su-Duo Xue (Vice-chair) and Shiro Kato (Vice-chair) are actively developing an international collaboration with a keen focus on earthquake responses and design methods of metal spatial structures.
Current ObjectivesThe overall objective of WG No. 8 is to develop and publish structural guidelines for design and construction of metal spatial structures. At present WG No. 8 is focusing on two principal design concerns: "Buckling" and "Earthquake Response." For both foci, WG No. 8 works from the following two aspects:
A special study group within the WG is concentrating on the dynamic behavior, including the earthquake response. More recently, a new Working Committee has been organized to draft a Guide to Earthquake Response Evaluation of Metal Reticulated Roof Structures.
- Aspect A: Organize sessions at IASS Symposia to promote discussions and exchange information among IASS members
- Aspect B: Publish State-of-Art Reports on Metal Spatial Structures.
Activities during 2015-17
- Aspect A: Following the past organized sessions at IASS2010 in Shanghai, IASS2011 in London, IASS2012 in Seoul , IASS2013 in Wroclaw, and IASS2014 in Brasilia, an organized session on BUCKLING AND DYNAMIC BEHAVIOR of metal spatial structures was held in IASS2015 in Amsterdam. In the session in Amsterdam, an outline of the "Guide to Earthquake Response Evaluation of Metal Roof Structures," being under preparation. In IASS2016 Symposium in Tokyo a special session will be open to discuss earthquake response and its control to supply further information to be included in the Guide, followed by IASS2017 in Hamburg.
- Aspect B Step (1) Buckling: With emphasis on "Buckling," with connection to the IASS members in Japan, the Shell and Spatial Structures Committee of the Architectural Institute of Japan published in 2010 a review book (total 367 pages, in Japanese, reference 1) with the title "Buckling and Strength of Lattice Shells." From early 2011, Working Group has been organized to publish "Guide to Buckling Load Evaluation of Metal Reticulated Roof Structures" based on recent activities of WG No. 8, reviewed by IASS Technical Activity Committee and this Guide is now open to IASS members through IASS web-site at Further Information for IASS Members.
- Aspect B Step (2) Earthquake Response: At present, a new Working Committee of the WG has been organized to prepare "(Draft) Guide to Earthquake Response Evaluation of Metal Reticulated Roof Structures." Not only Journal of the IASS papers but also papers which have been presented in the previous organized sessions are to be referred to in the Draft. Chair of WG 8 invites people who are interested in this activity to join into this Working committee. For this preparation, the WG has a plan to list references summarizing papers concerning "Earthquake Response" from the Journal of the IASS and various Proceedings of IASS Symposia. WG 8 welcomes IASS members to send their valuable papers and examples of realized structures for inclusion in the guide to Chair or Co-chairs of WG 8. In IASS2016 to 2017, a special session was organized for Earthquake Response Evaluation.
The current members listed below are all members of the IASS. The WG is eager to add members from all parts of the world. Discussions continue for publication of state-of-the art papers and for preparation of the drafts of the structural guides. IASS members who are interested in these activities are welcome to join; please contact one of the Co-Chairs.