MissionEncourage and synthesize presentations, reports and publications on projects, designs and research related to tension structures, such as membrane structures, cable structures, tensegrities and hybrid structures.
[text to be placed here]
Activities during 2013-14
- Organized two WG Sessions for the IASS Symposium 2014 in Brasilia.
- The officers of the WG extended international communication by serving in the following ways:
- Ken'ichi Kawaguchi is serving for MSAJ (Membrane Structures Association Japan) as one of the Executive Committee members. He wrote a short guidelines for membrane ceiling systems in 2014 (in Japanese). He also served as the chair of the committee for the safety of the non-structural components in AIJ (Architectural Institute of Japan), and this committee published the "Guidelines for safety measures against accidental fall of ceilings and other non-structural components" (192 pages, in Japanese).
- Marijke Molleart is serving TensiNet as a core person.
- Ron Shaeffer is revising the Tensile Membrane Structures Standard for the ASCE as a member of the committee.
Activities during 2014-15
- Organized a WG Session for the IASS Symposium 2015 in Amsterdam.
- The officers of the WG extended international communication by continuing their service activities listed above for 2013-2014.
- In addition, Ken'ichi Kawaguchi organized ten pre-symposium seminars for IASS2016 Tokyo in many places in Japan.
- Several WG members participated in the IASS-endorsed conference "Structural Membranes 2015: Textile Composites and Inflatable Structures," October 19-21 in Barcelona.
Activities during 2015-16
Activities during 2016-17
- Ron Shaeffer and Marijlke Molleart were invited to MSAJ seminar at Tokyo Garden Palace Hotel to deliver lectures for MSAJ members, on the occasion when they visited Tokyo for IASS2016.
- Sudarshan Krishnan has taken the initiative for the WG6 OS at Tokyo.
- Ken'ichi Kawaguchi organized free post-symposium tour for IASS symposium participants to visit tension structures around Tokyo, after the IASS2016.
- Ken'ichi Kawaguchi organized the International Design Competition for Young Generation on New National Stadium Japan.
- Ken'ichi Kawaguchi organized the exhibition of Tent Models made by members of the Japan Tent Sheet Manufacturers Association, at the Ito Hall, the venue of IASS2016.
- Ron Shaeffer and Ken'ichi Kawaguchi were invited to SEWC colloquium at Bangalore July 13-15 to deliver lectures.
- Sudarshan Krishnan is organizing the WG6 session for IASS2017.
- Ken'ichi Kawaguchi has designed a membrane structure, of which roof is supported by a tensegrity towoer and a pentagonal tensegrity skeleton, and constructed at Kashiwa campus of the university of Tokyo.
- Several WG members are going to join the IASS-endorsed conference "Structural Membranes 2017", October 9-11 in Munich.
All current members of the Working Group, listed below, are members of the IASS. The Working Group welcomes additional members who have an interest in Tension Structures; those interested should please contact one of the Co-Chairs of the Working Group.