Mission1. To initiate research activities in the fields of efficiency, reliability and durability of steel and concrete cooling towers and comparable structures, such as:
- natural draught cooling towers in wet-cooling-systems
- natural draught cooling towers in dry-cooling-systems
- fan-assisted cooling towers
- hybrid cooling Towers
- updraft towers of solar thermal power plants
2. To gather cooling tower experts from universities, power plant operators, cooling technologies companies, building companies and engineering consultancies from all over the world.
3. To improve the standards and recommendations for cooling tower design, construction, quality management, maintenance, repair and strengthening.
4. To organize international symposia and sessions on cooling towers and solar chimneys as “state-of-the-art”-events.
Much of the recent activity of WG 3 has related to VGB PowerTech e.V., abbreviated VGB, the European technical association for electricity and heat generation. VGB is divided into Competence Centers for
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Fossil-fired Power Plants
- Renewables and Distributed Generation
- Environmental Technology, Chemistry, Safety and Health
- Operational Services
VGB is an association of companies, who focus on power plant operation and related technologies. Currently in total 462 members, comprising operators, manufacturers and institutions connected with energy engineering, are organized in VGB. They come from 33 countries worldwide and represent an installed power plant capacity of 520,000 MW, 461,000MW of which are in Europe. The tasks are to utilize international experience and bundle it in VGB Standards and Guidelines, for example for the Structural Design of Cooling Towers. The offices of VGB PowerTech are located in Essen/Germany.
Recent Conference Activities
All current members of the Working Group are members of the IASS. The Working Group welcomes additional members who have an interest in the mission and objectives of the group; those IASS members interested should please contact one of the Chairs of the Working Group (Find e-mail addresses in the IASS Directory by logging in).